In the last year we've also seen a lot of change. It was one year ago, today that we decided to move to Texas. Yes, that decision was made 365 days ago, which happened to be three weeks before we arrived here in Dallas. We also, in case you haven't heard, had a son this year, and I can say that more than anything, he has provided change for us. I can also say that we are finally feeling like we are getting into a routine and have found our new new new normal. You also may have heard that we purchased our first house last week. Maybe I should say "are purchasing our first house... starting last week". Whatever. You get the idea. Yes, my friends, we know change. Our five years as husband and wife have been marked by it. I might even say we love and embrace the change, but that would be stretching the truth. We do love adventure, but I can't say that we enjoy the unknown.
Each year, on our anniversary, we try to find some time to celebrate each other, and it seems to turn out that whatever we do to celebrate, seems to signify what our next year holds. Here's what I mean...
- Our first anniversary we were in the process of moving from Arizona to NYC. A few weeks before we moved, we visited LA and stayed at an awesome hotel on the beach. It was a great time to go on a spur of the moment trip and enjoy time together. We left early on a Saturday morning and spent time around our hotel... went out to dinner at an awesome italian place, and just relaxed. Sunday, we went into LA and watched the red carpet festivities for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory before cruising around there and finally heading home. On our actual anniversary, we were in the car... moving. That is the part that I would say signified our next year. Moving and unknown in NYC, but the first part sounds like a lot more fun. :)
- Our second anniversary, I believe we spent exploring NYC. I can't remember for sure, but I think we ate at a cute little Italian place in Little Italy. I guess that is significant of that year because I can't recall a whole lot significant of that year beyond really JUST exploring NYC.
- Our third anniversary we took a weekend trip out to Connecticut. Mind you, we still didn't have a car so we took the train, and walked around the area where we stayed. We could see the city from our hotel window, yet we felt like we were a world away.
- Our fourth anniversary, we spent in California pondering our decision to stay in California or make the move to Texas. I can't remember what else we did, but I'm sure we went out to dinner or something. That wasn't the important part of that day.
- And on to anniversary number five... Today we spent a lot of the day shopping for stuff for our new house. We went to Lowe's and attempted to match what is already in the house with what we saw there. You know, fun things like matching the finish on our bathroom faucet with a toilet paper holder, and finding a replacement lock for our front door that matches the finish on the handle... with no success. We also went tonight to Best Buy and bought a Fridge. Yep, just like that, we walked into the store and picked one out. I guess I should mention that there is a HUGE dent in the freezer drawer. (It is the kind with the french door fridge and a freezer drawer below it.) When the guy told us what he could sell it for and we saw the original price, we pulled out our handy iPhones to find out what a replacement drawer cover will cost. It may cost a few hundred dollars, but we saved over $1200 by buying this dented fridge. SCORE! I can't help but wonder what this means for our upcoming year... I'm hoping to look at it as a "great deal" of a year and not a "dented" one. I guess we will have to revisit this issue in a year to find out!
PS- Today, Egan also turns four months old, so I also owe him a newsletter for the month, but that may have to wait till tomorrow when I've got more energy.
PPS- Blake mowed our new lawn with a borrowed mower today. We need to purchase our own. Anyone know of any cheap good ones? Pass that info our way.