Friday, December 5, 2008

Our trip. This is going to be a long one...

We went on a cruise this week. Here are some thoughts and a bunch of pictures from our trip. We had a lot of fun... relaxed a lot... and had a lot of laughs at/with our fellow cruisers.
The overall experience was a blast, and it was nice to trade the cold for a few days for some nice warm sun. We got up REALLY early Saturday morning and drove to Galveston. We arrived early and found a Starbucks to sit and relax before parking the car and getting on the boat. Our room wasn't ready yet when we got on the boat, so we ate some lunch while still in port and explored the ship. By the time our room was ready, we were both pretty tired from getting up so early, so we unpacked and took a nap. Every evening there was a show, and the first night had a bit of a taste of the nights to come. There was a lot of singing, dancing, costume changes, comedy... all incredibly cheesy, but we got a good laugh. There were 10 people at our dinner table that we met on the first night: a couple on their honeymoon, a couple with two little kids, and then a family of four with two daughters that were 17 and 19. The food was good, but a little bland for our liking, but the chocolate cake was AMAZING. It came in a bowl with a crusted top and gooey inside and a little scoop of ice cream. I had it every night.... amazing.
Every night when we got in from dinner, there was a towel animal waiting on our bed, so I took pictures of them every day. Here is the one from the first evening... a seal.

Our second day on the ship was spent at sea. We spent some time exploring the ship some more and also got started on the search for a baby name. We came up with around 35 that we liked, and then cut that list down to 5 by the end of the trip that we both really like. What a job! (On a side note there... the name will remain a secret until the birth, so no point asking! haha.) Also, the second day of the cruise was "formal" night, so we put on our best for dinner and went to the captain's welcome aboard reception.
Blake had the lobster for dinner. This just so happens to be his second try with lobster. (Here's the first... in case you missed it.) This time, it was just the tail pre-prepared, so it went better than his first lobster a year ago.

Day three was at Cozumel, Mexico. We spent the day shopping and being heckled by shop vendors. I got a good laugh from some of the stuff that was said to us. I can't say that it made me want to come in their shop and buy a lot of stuff, but it was funny none the less.

Blake got a goofy balloon hat. When I say he got it... he didn't request it, the guy was just making them for tips. Blake was super happy about this one.

A cute little boy outfit we got while shopping in Cozumel.
Day four: Progresso, Mexico. We spent the day at the beach, so we didn't bring a camera along. It was nice to relax and read some though... in between being asked if we wanted to purchase a shirt, bracelet with our name on it, other beaded jewelery... you name it. The water was cold, but not so much so that we couldn't get in it. Once we decided that we had enough of the beach, we went back to the ship for some lunch and to try out the pool. We were both surprised when we found out that the pool was not only COLD but also salt water. It was fun though. We also tested out the slide a couple of times. It was fun.
Day five: another day at sea. We slept in, had breakfast, and swam some more. Here are some pictures from around the ship.

BINGO! Wow, did those old people take it seriously.
We overheard someone talking about this cake, so we thought we should try it. It was good. We liked it and everything, but it wasn't as good as the guy made it out to be. It was pretty though, so I took a picture.

Proof that it wasn't as good as the guy made it out to be.

Our last morning, we were supposed to be getting off the ship at about 8:15 am, but because of some really strong wind from the previous night, we were delayed until 10:30. We were glad we decided to do "self-assist" debarkation because that meant we got to get off 1 hr before everyone else. We got to the car and headed for Granbury to pick up Bo. He was one happy little dog. All in all, it was a long day of driving, but we made it home safely. Back to the real world!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds and looks amazing!!! So glad you guys had such an awesome time!!!

    BTW- what name did you decide on for baby Sawyer????

    (hehe, j/k)